Friday, April 18, 2008

Happy New Year!

No I didn’t have a heat stroke...

The Thai just celebrated their new year (Songkran). It was traditionally a time to pay respect to elders by gently pouring a small amount of water on people’s hands or over a shoulder.

But Songkran coincides with the hottest time of the year (end of the dry season) and the celebration – not unlike Christmas – has drifted from its original purpose and form. So for 3 days people roam the streets on foot or in pick-up trucks with containers of water or water guns (some the size of bazookas!), or post themselves at the side of roads with a garden hose and drench each other and passersby. We got wet a few times ourselves, although they showed a bit of restraint when they saw the state of Cecile and Jean in the stroller.

No baby yet. 9 days to go...theoritically!

3 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Blogger barnesofheather said...

I miss you guys! Wish we could actually SEE you all....I hope Cecile is hanging in there with baby #2 coming!...and all the heat....I look forward to seeing some pictures soon! :)

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger mafLTteam said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger mafLTteam said...

In China we had to dodge firecrackers being thrown into the street. Water is much safer!
Blessings as you look to the birth of #2!
Nicholas

 

Post a Comment

<< Home